Saturday, September 6, 2014

My Passion, My Calling...

      I started homeschooling my children for many reasons. I was inspired by the lack of education my oldest son was getting in the schools he was attending and frustrated with how much he was falling behind. I have always loved working with children and when my littles were approaching the age of formal education we decided to plunge head first into the wonderful world of homeschooling. For the first few years it was wonderful, memorable and exciting. I was giddy with creating learning opportunities for my little sponges and they were in awe of every experience. But as they got older and time went by our excitement ebbed. Life happend, trials came along, new babies, college, and burnout.  So when your life is thrown for a loop how do you keep homeschooling on track? This has been a question I have been pondering and I have come to realize that their education has dropped lower on the priority list. So many things have happened in the last few years. My mother passed away, I started back to college to finish my ECE degree, we found out we were expecting not long after and had our sweet new baby. We struggled through court proceedings for 3yrs trying to find justice for one of our children, all the while enduring harrassment and death threats from a family member whom we trusted. So much has happened and where are we now? How strong are we and what is left of us?

      We are still here! We are still a family. God has brought us through the trials with blessings! We are strong. So how does this fit into educationg our children? I have realized that this is my passion and being their mother who has committed to educating them, this is my job. I'm not just playing school, I'm not just trying to avoid working outside of the house, I'm not just sitting on my couch eating bon bons while the kids stare at the tv all day. I am important. What I do with my children is important. My husband thinks so, I think so...so then why do I still worry if the world agree's? Why do I always feel like I have to defend what I do? The world tells moms that if you are not getting paid for your job, then it's not a real job. But what could be more important...if that is what God has called you specifically to do. Now I'm not knocking any mother who works outside of the home. My mother worked full time and was amazing. I'm just coming to realize that where I am in this particular time in my life is where I need to be. So I can now give myself permission to feel important and treat this as if it were a paying job....to set a schedule and be more organized. I am a teacher, these are my students and life is good!  (this was not written in response to any negative feedback I have gotten from anyone but more for the pressure I put on myself. I really struggle with being extremely hard on myself and attempt to be supermom that has everything under control and never complains or has struggles....ha! Does that person even exsist?)

      So here's to a new school year...one I am approaching with a different perspective. Yes I still have a messy house with endless chores that never seem to get done. I still am going to college full time...until I graduate Spring 2015. I still have a tiny baby...well toddler now...actually lets just say a whirling dervish that doesn't stop moving unless she's asleep. But I am excited...giddy in fact over our plans this year. So here's to meaningful learning experiences, connecting with friends, family and church, focusing on the our blessings and letting God lead.

No comments: